Founder's Building Library Repurposing & Reading Room Refurbishment
HDC were appointed to undertake two contrasting projects in the Grade I listed Founder's Building, one of the country’s finest architectural assets, involving the loving restoration of the original Reading Rooms and the functional conversion of the old library archives into category B office space.
Key features included:
- consulting archive records and undertaking paint analysis to establish original colour schemes.
- appointing specialist contractors to decorate the ornate ceiling, clean the bookcases, clean the stonework and sand/ seal the timber floor.
- creation of an open plan, 60 occupant office in place of the old library.
- repurposing another 22 rooms in the South Tower spanning four floors including offices, meeting rooms, tea points and toilets.
- overseeing the supply, delivery and installation of all office furniture.
All works were carried out with the upmost sensitivity for the building and with the agreement of Historic England.
Royal Holloway University
Egham - Surrey
QS - Full Service